|Adaland Mansion (above), The Adaland Barn (below)
The mansion house was built in 1870 at the end of the Civil War by Augustus Modisett, Sheriff of Barbour County and local banker. The brick house was constructed by local carpenters and emancipated slaves and is an example of neo greek architecture. The interior has been restored using 1870-1890 period wallpapers and furniture from local sources which compliment the original walnut woodwork. Guided historic tours are provided. The house is open for parties, weddings, receptions, dinners, luncheons and meetings. Adaland Mansion is owned by the City of Philippi. It was donated to the City of Philippi in January 1996 by Philippi Development Inc., a division of Anker Energy.
The front porch and patio were completely renovated in 2002. In June 2003, modern restrooms including storage space were completed at the “Baby Barn.” The Barn, located below the house, is where garden tours, weddings and special events are held. Work will soon be commenced on building hardwood steps from the driveway at the Mansion to the Barn, where visitors will be able to walk and view the gardens.
In addition to funding support for both the Mansion and the barn, Vandalia has provided technical assistance in the completion of this important project.
Adaland Mansion is located four miles north of Philippi on WV Route 76. From Philippi take US Route 119 north, for three miles. At the railroad crossing, turn left toward Flemington. The mansion is located one mile on the right after the Sentinel Mine loading area. Turn right on Adaland Road and right again on the mansion driveway.